Can democracy be exported? Online debate - 17 Jul, 2007
Should western democratic
values be promoted world wide?
Join the debate online at www.democracyseries.org.uk
In a timely new publication in
the Hansard Society Democracy Series, Democracy and Intervention,
published July 17, 2007, Lord Bhikhu Parekh examines whether democracy can - or
should - be exported from one country to another. To read a summary of the
meeting click here.
The publication can be downloaded
where you can join the online debate:
- What do we mean by ‘democratic values'?
- Can democratic values be exported from one
country to another?
- Why has this issue gained such prominence
within western - and particularly United States - foreign
- Are there inherent contradictions in
attempting to spread democracy to countries which may not wish to adopt
- What are the challenges when democracy and
Join the debate at www.democracyseries.org.uk
For further information,
contact Virginia Gibbons at the Hansard Society on 020 7438 1225 or 07812 765
552 or email email@example.com
- Previous publications and online debates in
the Democracy Series:
- Democracy and Islam
- Democracy and Voting
- Democracy and Capitalism
- Democracy and Political Parties
- The Democracy Series is supported by the
Ministry of Justice
- The Hansard Society is the UK's
leading non-partisan political research and education charity which exists
to strengthen parliamentary democracy and encourage greater public
involvement in politics.